Netflix was reported last year to be the source of nearly 30% of the North American internet backbone traffic. Well that’s impressive, but that’s something that many non North Americans can’t understand … and there’s a simple reason for that: the service is not available in many countries. Several well known and well received services are restricted to a range of IP adresses that are considered in a geographic location where users have access to this services. Here is a small but still interesting list of services that have obviously impact on the usage of the internet, but cannot be accessed in many European countries.
- Netflix – major video streaming service (subscription based)
- Pandora – music streaming service / adaptive online radio (ad supported)
- Hulu – major video streaming service of already aired TV content (ad supported)
- Vevo – music video streaming service (ad supported). Most of the music videos on Vevo are available on YouTube for Austrians, but most of these music videos are not accessible of Germans.
- NBC - video streaming service of already aired NBC TV content.
- ABC - video streaming service of already aired ABC TV content.